So why am I a lazy personal trainer?


I LOVE WORKING OUT. I LOVE DONUTS. I LOVE RUNNING 5Ks. I LOVE LAZY TV NIGHTS WITH JFBs (SEE MY LINGO LIST).


CAN I POSSIBLY BE A HAPPY, HEALTHY PERSON WITH SUCH CONFLICTING PASSIONS?

I'm trying! Follow my quest to OVERCOME LAZY!

Friday, August 5, 2011

A Lazy Personal Trainer Recipe: Power Granola

Okay, so you know I’m inherently lazy. 

Some of you may also know that I’m not much of a cook. So if I bother passing on a recipe, you know it’s gonna be easy!  If it does, in fact, involve much effort, then you know it’s going to be absolutely worth it.  When I run across an easy, healthy AND  delicious recipe, I feel I’ve achieved a sort of Lazy Personal Trainer nirvana.

Freshly made granola.  Yum!
This is a double batch... we go through it quickly!

This one has a moderate (by my lazy standards) amount of effort required but is still easy and it’s so delicious, it is indeed worth it. 

Power Granola*

3 cups regular oats
2/3 cup ground flaxseed
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup slivered almonds
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup orange juice (I use Trop 50 or Minute Maid Lite)
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking spray
1/3 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.

Combine orange juice, honey, and brown sugar in a small saucepan.  Cook over medium heat just until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat; stir in oil and vanilla.

Pour honey mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat.  Spread mixture in a thin layer onto a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes; stir well.  Bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Spoon granola into a bowl; stir in dried cranberries.  Cool completely.

*Original source is Cooking Light.  I modified the amounts on the dry ingredients to give it an even better nutritional profile!
On the cookies sheets - ready to go into the oven.
This is so good, it’s insane.  My favorite way to eat it is with Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I've rhapsodized about this wonder beverage before).  I also often add a serving of Fiber One original to my cereal bowl to bulk it up even more for fewer calories.  Granola calories - even this lower fat/sugar version – can add up fast!

After cooling it completely,
I store in an airtight container.
It doesn't even stay around long enough to get stale, tho!


No comments:

Post a Comment