So why am I a lazy personal trainer?


I LOVE WORKING OUT. I LOVE DONUTS. I LOVE RUNNING 5Ks. I LOVE LAZY TV NIGHTS WITH JFBs (SEE MY LINGO LIST).


CAN I POSSIBLY BE A HAPPY, HEALTHY PERSON WITH SUCH CONFLICTING PASSIONS?

I'm trying! Follow my quest to OVERCOME LAZY!

Friday, July 29, 2011

Random Act of Fitness #3 - Quality Bosu Time


Me and Big Blue.  We love each other.

This is my glorious Bosu.  It’s been sitting in the middle of my kitchen or living room (depending on where I’m doing the ol’ housewifey chores) all day long.  I have been hopping, stepping, and bouncing on it in brief spurts throughout the day just whenever I get the chance. 

This morning I was drying the dishes in conjunction with some Bosu step-ups.    During a phone conversation with a friend, I was marching and squatting on the blue beauty.  As the girls and I picked up toy clutter, we took turns hopping on and off the bouncy wonder.

See - you can use both sides!
Because I kept it in view and in the way (I only stubbed my toe on it twice), I was compelled to use it often just because it was there staring me in the face and heckling me whenever I walked by.
Z's early days with the Bosu.
They've been friends since the beginning!

It probably won’t work for me to do this every day but the Bosu is portable and compact enough that I think I’ll put it in my regular RAF rotation!

The Bosu got cropped out of this pic, but it's just a sample
of how crazy /awesome R is with the thing.

For those that are unfamiliar with this delightful piece of fitness equipment, I add the following description:  The name Bosu is an acronym standing for “both sides up” meaning you can use this thing for a million different exercises with either side up.  It’s the love child of a step and an exercise ball and is extremely versatile for cardio, strength and balance exercises… even stretching!  I love this thing and it’s one of the best additions I’ve made to my home gym arsenal.




5 comments:

  1. Sharon! I love this post!! I have a Bosu, and I've always heard it stood for "Bottom Side Up," and that never made sense to me. "Both Sides Up" sounds right. Can you post your favorite exercises with it? I use it for pushups (flat side up) and squats (ball side up), but that is about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very wore out in just a 6 foot x 6 foot area when she pulls this out. It is a great tool to own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, yes, I will definitely post some exercises soon. Be patient with me and I'll also try to do a video or two!

    Just for a quick answer, I do just about any dumbbell exercise while standing on the ball side. It works on balance and makes the exercises more challenging to execute. I do running step-ups, side to side hops, even just repeated hopping and marching/jogging are great. Next time you're down doing pushups, try doing mountain climbers too. Then there's the Bosu power burpee... I'll have to demonstrate that one. It's killer! I could go on and on, but I'll put something together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the power burpee involve lifting it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LaVonne, yes! You've probably seen/done it. It's kind of like a combo of a power clean and burpee. I'm tellin' ya, the Bosu rocks!

    ReplyDelete