So why am I a lazy personal trainer?


I LOVE WORKING OUT. I LOVE DONUTS. I LOVE RUNNING 5Ks. I LOVE LAZY TV NIGHTS WITH JFBs (SEE MY LINGO LIST).


CAN I POSSIBLY BE A HAPPY, HEALTHY PERSON WITH SUCH CONFLICTING PASSIONS?

I'm trying! Follow my quest to OVERCOME LAZY!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How I Overcame Laziness This... Decade.


It'll be 11 years on May 5!

I married this guy.

I think K must be going through some sort of pre-mid-life thing.  We're only 37 (don't you have to be in your 40s to be considered at mid-life?) and I can't really say it's a crisis since it's been mostly a good thing.  But he's been fitness-ly nutty lately.  Instead of validating his youth and virility by buying a zippy red sports car or having an affair, (neither of which he could afford!) he's been ensuring that when he isn't working hard, he's playing hard!

In just this new year alone, our weeks have been PACKED with skiing, target shooting, pony riding, Red Rock Canyon hiking, swimming, bike rides, long outdoor runs, sledding, snowshoeing, and then just our boring ol' home-based workouts.

After he suggested an impromptu camping trip on the beach 4 hours away this week, I just had to tell him that I needed the week off.  Sometimes you just need to be responsible and get things done; y'know what I mean?  And although I really enjoy doing all these kinds of things, I am a natural homebody.  I love our adventures, but I don't need them ALL THE TIME in order to feel fulfilled.  But K seems to, expecially lately.  Whew!

I'm not complaining - it's been fantastic for us because it keeps us from being lazy.  Throughout our almost 11 years of marriage, we've definitely had our fitness ups and downs.  Sometimes I'm the motivator, sometimes he is; so, ultimately, we make a great team.

To celebrate our upcoming anniversary, we recently decided we're going to run a 1/2 marathon together.  I consider this a "high" for us because it's way better than our "low" of a couple of years ago when I insisted we go to Carl's Jr. so I could have the Western Bacon Burger that I was really craving.  I think I was pregnant at the time.

So here's some advice:  get someone in your life who motivates you to be your best self... and/or become that type of a person for someone else.

I wonder what we'll be doing for our 25th.

2 comments:

  1. Sharon, I love your blog! You're right, it helps so much to work toward a goal *with* someone. Knowing that my training buddies are waiting is what gets me out of bed on Saturdays for our long runs, and out in the rain and sleet on Wednesday nights for track workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, thanks for visiting! I'd like to think we always enthusiastically work out for the sheer joy it brings us, but, realistically, most of us need someone to give us a swift kick in the pants, sometimes!

    ReplyDelete