So why am I a lazy personal trainer?


I LOVE WORKING OUT. I LOVE DONUTS. I LOVE RUNNING 5Ks. I LOVE LAZY TV NIGHTS WITH JFBs (SEE MY LINGO LIST).


CAN I POSSIBLY BE A HAPPY, HEALTHY PERSON WITH SUCH CONFLICTING PASSIONS?

I'm trying! Follow my quest to OVERCOME LAZY!

Friday, April 15, 2011

How I Overcame Lazy This Week: One Word: Funslides!

Okay, a coupla quick updates:  my neck still hurts like a mutha (I'm writing this on a bad day) but the great thing is that I'm actually having "better" days - whereas I wasn't before.  So it does seem to be changing slooooowwwwly for the better.  It gives me hope.  Yeehaw.

Next update:  Alas, I am not a Fila "real woman" representative.  I guess they thought there'd just be way too much airbrushing necessary!  I'm totally fine with it.  Totally.  Uh huh.  In fact, it seemed rather bothersome, actually.  I mean, probably after hearing about the $1000 prize money, I'd likely have relatives coming out of the woodwork to start asking me for money.  I'd have to arrange childcare and find a nursery subsitute before the disruptive trip to New York.  See - a million things I'd have to organize before I left.  And now I don't have to worry about over-fatiguing my facial and abdominal muscles from fake-smiling and sucking in my gut for hours on end during the photo shoot.  Whew.  The pressure if off!  And, anyway, where would I put all the free clothes I'd get?  I do NOT have a walk-in closet. 

I did actually win a free workout tank top just for submitting a video!  So, "winner, winner chicken dinner", after all!  I think I have just enough drawer space for that.

Well, it was potentially a great week for me to be lazy:  I discovered my neck's still not ready to let me run.  I tried to sneak in running a few hills during our family jaunt to the park yesterday and I'm pretty sure that's why I'm having a bad pain day today.  So, instead of crawling under the covers in defeat (which actually doesn't offer any escape anyway since I'm just as uncofortable horizontally as I am vertically) I'm sticking with low-impact cardio for now and while that's not pain-free, it's my only option and it doesn't seem to aggravate nearly as much as my cherished running does.

So, Ha! Laziness, I spit in your general direction.


They ain't called FUNslides for nothin'!
 
Here's my plan of action:  I can't currently get my running mileage in on foot so I'm going to do it by biking - out on the road and on our stationary bike.  I'm also increasing my intimacy with one of my favorite fitness gadgets of all time:  my Funslides!!!  Some of you already know of my affinity for these profoundly simple, yet astonishingly effective, devices.  You can't even call them devices:  they're just simple, plastic sliding thingies.  And, truthfully, sturdy paper plates are an even cheaper and quite effective subsitute. 


These work great on carpet or tile.
Just throw 'em out when they're beat up and go to your
pantry for a new pair!

I'm attaching a video to demonstrate some of the lower-body moves I'm doing lately with them.  They're great because you glide through your exercises yet you can still be intense and explosive without the impact.  Plus they add an extra element of difficulty because you've constantly got friction you're working against.  So it's a killer cardio AND toning AND calorie-blasting workout all in one!  Miracle workers, those Funslides.  Sure you kinda have to get over the I-feel-like-the-most-awkward-doofus-in-the-world factor but no one sees you in your own living room! And this is just a fraction of the cool moves you can pull with these bad boys.  I will be demonstrating more as my injury status allows. 

Often, I will just dedicate an entire workout to staying on these and just repeat the sequence of exercises several times.  Sometimes I'll combine them with the bike or treadmill for some variety and to ramp up the intensity.  For example, I'll do several minutes on the bike, then hop off to do a sliding circuit and get back on the bike to repeat that sequence several times.
DO try this at home!  You'll quickly see why I chose this song accompaniment.

No comments:

Post a Comment