So why am I a lazy personal trainer?


I LOVE WORKING OUT. I LOVE DONUTS. I LOVE RUNNING 5Ks. I LOVE LAZY TV NIGHTS WITH JFBs (SEE MY LINGO LIST).


CAN I POSSIBLY BE A HAPPY, HEALTHY PERSON WITH SUCH CONFLICTING PASSIONS?

I'm trying! Follow my quest to OVERCOME LAZY!

Friday, February 4, 2011

Doggonit, People Like Me


"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and
doggonit, people like me."
- Stuart Smalley

I’ve been tapping into the power of mantras lately.  Ever since I got a boost from a quote I had posted at the right place at the right time, (see previous post “Do It Anyway”) I’ve been reminded how powerful a few phrases - or even just a few words - can be.

So I’ve issued the challenge to my family to choose the inspirational quote or mantra that will help them keep steadily moving toward their health goals.  I told them to print it out, post it somewhere prominent and recite it verbally at least once daily this month.  (Hence the Stuart Smalley reference – as goofy as that guy was, he was on to something!)


Just a small part of my vision board.  There's more
on the other wall above the toilet paper roll.

I’ve had a hard time choosing my current favorite because there are so many that inspire me.  In fact, I have what mizfitonline (a blog I’ve been enjoying lately) refers to as a “vision board”.  It’s a collection of pictures and quotes and phrases that I find motivating and inspirational that I’ve posted somewhere where I will see them often.  Yep, as some of you know, for me that’s the bathroom.  By the toilet.  I’ve been doing it for years and I have to say I’ve really found it helpful many times.


So I’ve narrowed it down to the two that are most meaningful to me right now:  “Do It Anyway” and “It’s about progress, not perfection.”


My daily mantras on the mirror, along with K's inspirational quote.
Plus my monthly exercise log!
Pretty soon I won't be able to see myself.

However, I can’t help but add a few more that have struck a chord in me lately:

“Act the way you’d like to be and soon you’ll be the way you act."  –Leonard Cohen


“Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.” – George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

“Putting on your workout clothes burns half the calories.” - Trainermomma (another blog I’ve been enjoying).

"NO EXCUSES!"

I’m sure I’ll be sharing more as they inspire me… and I encourage everybody else to do the same!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the inspirational quotes. My metabolism has come to a screeching halt after years of eating what I want, so I'm trying to exercise more these days - my favorite quote on eating (which really only applies to pregnancy), but it's: eat for two..look like three

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, Kim, I like that. Different things are meaningful to us at different times... and for our own personal reasons.

    ReplyDelete